I'm PQed!

Potently Questioning?

Privatized  Quails??

Plywood Queen???

Actually, I just found out I'm

Physically Qualified

To deploy to Antarctica!




This process took a lot longer than I'd hoped, and being in grad school while trying to get all my appointments done didn't help. I gave at least 5 vials of blood (maybe more...I lost count and was trying not to look), got my teeth x-rayed, got my lady parts examined, got up to date on all my vaccines, and even completed an eye exam, just to name a few procedures. Lots of needles. LOTS of doctors, and just as many waiting rooms! Thankfully it all resulted in a successful PQ.

Why do participants need to be PQed?

Resources, even at McMurdo, are limited. They don't have a hospital there, and flights to and from ice are limited and expensive! USAP and my contractors want to make sure all of us are in the best health possible and are at low risk for a medical emergency - if I had to leave the continent for medical treatment, it would mean loss of an employee as well as an expensive flight back to New Zealand.

However, in the 21st century, PQ doesn't seem to be as strict as it used to be - tonsil removal and appendectomy is no longer required for which I'm grateful as I'd like to keep both those things for now. (although I've seen that wintering over doctors at Australian bases need to have their appendix removed)

What's next?

I need to get my travel information confirmed, and undergo security training. Everything feels somewhat military-esque as I am ultimately working for the U.S. government via the National Science Foundation via my actual job contractor. After that, it's a matter of getting everything I need to take down, packing, settling my affairs in the U.S., and getting ready for my adventure which should begin in less than 3 months now!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Antarctica

Holding Pattern in Christchurch

Hello from the Ice!