Packing for the coldest continent in the world

It's about two months until I leave, and this summer has been me slowly preparing for takeoff. This includes making packing lists and acquiring things I need to leave. I don't have unlimited baggage allowance: I need to keep all my personal belongings under 70 pounds, to leave room for the issued gear and clothing I'll get in Christchurch. I'm not too concerned about this yet - I was usually close to this when I packed for a summer in remote Alaska. But packing for Antarctica is turning out to be different than I thought it would be. Here are some things about packing for an Antarctic deployment that you might not expect:

  • I'll get issued full ECW (extreme cold weather gear) that I have to return after my deployment, but I may only wear it twice in the entire time I'm there - on the planes to and from. We'll see.
  • Yes, it gets REALLY cold there, but they do have indoors with actual heat, and my job is indoors. I'm mostly packing clothes for my work (lots of socks), and clothes to lounge around the buildings in. (lots of sweats and cozy socks) 
  • I plan to hike and ski as much as I can but it seems like I won't need my ECW for that - dressing like I would for a snow hike here in Alaska or Oregon, from what I've heard should be good enough. Plus, heavy coats and bunny boots are a pain when you're in a hurry like I usually am! I got a new puffy, lots of wool socks, and several long underwear choices. 
  • I'm not taking my laptop. There is no wireless internet and laptops/computers/tablets that go down there have to pass strict security checks that I'd rather not deal with. I plan to access blogging/email/online banking through the computers they provide, and take photos using a camera. (aka new GoPro from a dear friend! Thanks!)
  • Sun is an issue - There will be sun about 24 hours a day the entire time I'm there. Sunburn and snow blindness are a thing. I'm stocking up on my favorite sunscreen brand and I bought a new pair of sunglasses that will block out the snow glare from all angles. 
  • Antarctica is an arid desert! So along with the sunscreen is lots of SPF lip balm, regular lip balm, and super emollient body lotion!
  • Even though I plan on adventuring as much as work allows, I don't need to bring lots of gear. They have ski rentals there, and a stash of stuff that employees bring down and leave (SKUA) - I've heard that some people literally only fill their luggage allowance with costumes, games, and fun stuff because all the clothes/gear/necessities one would need are all in SKUA. I'm choosing to bring my own clothes though. I like my clothes! 
  • I'm keeping space for non-essentials, too. Things like my pillowcase from home, a decorative covering, small art pieces, and photos of family/friends go a long way. I can't take my plants with me (like I did when I went to Alaska), but other items that make my dorm room feel like home are really important!
Blogs from previous Antarcticans have been helpful as I pack, as has been the online community of Antarcticans that I've been a part of. I also consider my time living in remote Alaska helpful, as my time there helped me understand the value of bringing relics from home! I know I'm not going to pack perfectly though, so I'll probably be giving an update once there about how I would have packed differently! Considering they give you ECW, my general philosophy of ensuring you have a toothbrush and underwear should be good enough for survival - though they do sell toothbrushes in the little store on the base, so maybe I'm good enough to just pack underwear and a passport!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Antarctica

Holding Pattern in Christchurch

Hello from the Ice!