Q and A take 1


I have officially been in Antarctica for one week. This week has gone by fast yet has been full of my new job and meeting new people so it feels like a lot has happened. I have imagined some questions some people might have so here is my first hypothetical Q and A! If you have other questions about life at McMurdo, ask away in the comments and I promise to address all relevant ones in future posts!


Again, sorry for lack of pictures. I'm still working on this issue!


Q: What's the food like?


A: I work in the galley, so I can answer that question well! We serve a rotating menu that repeats every five weeks, with multiple options for both meat eaters and vegetarians. Things we have served this week include gyros, beef burgundy, meatball subs, and bbq beef brisket. We serve most food cafeteria style, but there are stations to get fresh burgers, burritos, or eggs to order depending on the day and the meal. There is usually some sort of  "salad" which could mean real green salad or canned fruit and vegetables depending on whether some fresh food has been flown in or not. No matter what the hour, there is always a hot case with fresh pizza in it, a case with a variety of cookies, and a waffle station to make yourself a waffle. To me, the food is fairly institutionalized, but folks are always commenting on how the food is way better than they were expecting. I think the variety helps a lot.


Q: What's the hardest part of your job and the easiest?


A: My job is an overnight shift, and ironically that is both the hardest and easiest part of my job! Because I work midnights, it's harder to do things with people on my days off, but the shift itself is smaller, more laid-back, and you get to know your crew well. I have adjusted to the sleep schedule well, the only confusing thing is feeling like it's morning when it's really evening.


Q: Are you freezing?


A: Not really. I live and work in the same building. Not everyone can say that, but all the dorms are pretty close to the galley as it is. Since I also work an indoor job, I really only have to deal with the cold weather if I choose to. Our buildings are well-heated. If I decide to walk to a different building, I usually wear my warm winter boots, a puffy jacket, mittens, hat, and a neck gaiter to guard against the wind. Not everyone bundles up even this much, but I enjoy being comfortable. If I decide to go for a longer walk, I usually make sure I have a nice warm layer and sweater on under my puffy, and usually don a balaclava. Once I start going on longer hikes, I will also plan to take with me in a backpack a change of socks and my big red jacket that everyone was issued in Christchurch, just in case. As many people who have lived in very cold climates before will attest, the cold is very dry so unless the wind is blowing, you really don't notice it too much. I've definitely been much colder in November in Anchorage than I've been walking around McMurdo on an average nice day.


Q: Besides you, what other kind of crazy people would live in Antarctica?


A: There are literally all kinds of people, from many different walks of life and of all ages. People with Ph.Ds are here cleaning toilets, career tradesmen are taking a break from their typical routine, some are taking a pay cut to be here, some are here because they are excited about the money. Some people have been coming down for over a decade (I met a man this morning who is heading to the South Pole and has been returning there every year since 2001!), and lots and lots of excited first-years like me. And of course, the all-important scientists, without whom, none of us would be here. Many people are down here for the adventure. Some just have had a lifetime of working non-conventional jobs or seasonal work. Some people are definitely trying to get away from something. And for many returners, you get the sense that this is home; the McMurdo community is place where they are happiest.


Q: What do you do for fun?


A: Good question! Things are still ramping up, so I'm sure there will be more activities in the near future. Right now, I often go for a run in the gym, play the piano, knit or read if I have free time; sometimes I peruse the ancient collection of VHS and DVDs. I have many people interested in piano lessons, so I figure I'll be able to teach piano a little bit; Antarctica is a great opportunity to hone old hobbies or pick up new ones. I even spent half of my last day off sitting in the galley and people just kept coming in and talking to me; the atmosphere is very social (this is both nice and tiring for a social introvert like me). Supposedly there will soon be a coffee shop, library, climbing wall and sauna, but for now they are still being de-winterized and/or repaired. There are also lots of clubs that organize events like fun runs, open mics, and basketball tournaments.


That's it for now! Send me your questions! So far, the bottom of the world isn't a bad place to be stuck.

Comments

  1. How wonderful to get your descriptions of everything! I am so excited for you! Warms my gypsy blood! Please keep up the good work of keeping us all informed! You are our own private reporter on everything from the south pole area!
    Thank you!
    Aunt Donna

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Antarctica

Holding Pattern in Christchurch

Hello from the Ice!