Tour of Scott's Discovery Hut

I'm a bit behind on my adventure posting....Thanksgiving resulted in both celebrations and long days at work so I have been trying to catch up after the holiday. More about Antarctic Thanksgiving in another post. I will also be making the change to working days early next week which will be a big deal for me. I've never actually slept at night and been awake in the day since I arrived, as the moment I got off the plane I started transitioning to working nights. I hope it will expand my world as much as it sounds. It will be nice to be able to take part in town life more, and even enjoy simple joys like eating breakfast after I wake up.


A few of us galley folks got to tour Scott's hut that was constructed by his 1902 Discovery Expedition. The Discover Expedition was Robert Falcon Scott's first trip to Antarctica, and was the first British expedition in 60 years. Scott's second expedition, the Terra Nova Expedition, was an attempt to be the first person to reach the South Pole. Scott did reach the South Pole, but by that time, Roald Amundson had already reached the South Pole. Scott and his team died on the return trip. The Discovery hut contains layers of Antarctic exploration history as the hut was repurposed to support additional expeditions after Scott. It has been beautifully restored, and contains almost all the original building materials and many artifacts from the period of Antarctic expeditions.
This photo I took back in October when I first got here. The hut was a pre-fab building that was designed for the Australian outback; in other words, to keep hot air out and cool air in. Needless to say, that design didn't bode well for long-term living in Antarctica. Scott's crew ended up continuing to sleep on the ship most of the time because it was warmer and instead used the hut as a staging area for the rest of the expedition.

 This pile of actual seal blubber may or may not have been around since the early 1900's. In any case, it's been around a long time, preserved in the most part by being frozen almost the entire year.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Antarctica

Holding Pattern in Christchurch

Hello from the Ice!